Author Topic: glympse?  (Read 8962 times)

n8jsn

• View Profile
glympse?
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »
I see that instamapper once worked with the system.  Has there been any play with Glympse?

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: glympse?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
At first glance Glympse looked great for MM.   But then I found the catch here:
https://developer.glympse.com/comparison
The "REST API access" requires a commercial license with a "Contact us for pricing", seems expensive.  MM would need the REST API :(.

tensai

• View Profile
    • Bonneville County SAR
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
My team has experimented with Glympse and as a stand-alone app it does work pretty well as an Instamapper replacement. Bummer about the API.
Corey Edwards
Bonneville County SAR
www.bcssar.com

SFD CERT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
As an alternative...could Google Latitude somehow be connected instead?

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »
As an alternative...could Google Latitude somehow be connected instead?
Google discontinued Latitude a while back.  Before the shutdown we experimented with the API extensively for MM.  Latitude and what's left of it in Google+ is really a "friends sharing" location app.  The complexity of "friend-ing" to share your location with MM would be really hard to use.

The BEST option is a good MM specific app that works on all devices, this is why MM has an open API.  App like the one kduncklee http://www.radishworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=570.0 is workinf on has great promise.

n8jsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
I am sure I won't make friends with this suggestion..  BUT..  to have features like that work.  I would be happy to pay a reasonable price..

What is a reasonable price?  I'd say more than 1.00 and less than 10.00 for an app.   For MM.. I could see 20.00 a month being a reasonable price for everything the system does.  I'm not sure how many teams are in the system but this would go along way for Mike to cover expenses or to be able to pay for things like the glympse api if he wanted to. 

Make it a catch all app that you could do some data management from.. IE Update your info, update your response status.  That would track your position as your enroute.. You know.. that type of stuff..

I would also include some some special abilities like create a mission or even enter data into. 

An app like this and a month fee to Mike and MM would go a long way to build this system.  He may not get rich on it.  But I could imagine the possibilities if he had some enticement or if an app developer had some reason to build an app and continue to update it with more info.   

In my County we run 50 calls a year from March - November.  We have literally cleared one and been paged to another or split the team from one to go to another.   We live in a mix of urban / wilderness / farm.   Having this type of stuff available to me as an app or to my folks as an app is an awesome prospect. 

I know I'm way off my original topic..