Author Topic: Time Keeping Report Mission Count  (Read 8757 times)

jlehman

• View Profile
    • San Bernardino County Sheriff's SAR
Time Keeping Report Mission Count
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »
I noticed that when I print a participation report that I don't get an accurate # of missions count. For example, this month we had 3 missions logged in MM, and I attended all of them, yet my record shows zero for the mission total.

The bulk of our calls are in the support of other teams. As such, I don't often use MM to manage an actual mission. So that I have a mission log for my members, I do check in people (from my team only) in MM as they respond, but that doesn't seem to translate into # of missions. From where is the mission count number in the time keeping report pulled? Also, how are trainings and fundraising efforts differentiated?

Thanks,
JL
Jeff Lehman
San Bernardino County SAR
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Time Keeping Report Mission Count
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »
Good question, Mission Counts are a little odd in Time Keeping.

For exactly the reasons you outline, not all "missions" are started in MM.  This might be because its helping another team, or even it got canceled before it got started.  This is why the number of "Missions" created in MM has no connection to the number of total "Missions" in the Time Keeping reports. 

The way MM totals the missions for Time Keeping is it looks at the Category column for entries.  If the Category has "Mission" in the text, this is considered a mission.  Computing the number of total team missions is a little trickier.  This is done by making the assumption of no more than one mission on a single day, and it takes the total number of "Mission"s by all members on unique days.  The Same thing holds true for "Training" or "Public Relations" in the category.  There is no counts for Fundraising as a Category.

Mike

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »
Fundraising makes sense as a magic total counts, so "Fundraiser" category will now be totaled as well if you add it to your Time Keeping Category in the Configuration.

Mike

jlehman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
In looking deeper I wondered why one of my members had a mission count of 1, while the rest of us who had gone on multiple missions that month had a count of zero. In looking at his record, I noticed that no category was assigned to his time keeping entry. It was automatically populated since I had logged him into the mission, but no category was associated with it. Yet, it was logged as a mission. The rest of us changed the category to one of the ones that fits. San Berdoo Co. has a set of hours categories that all teams use, so when I configured MM I used "122 Search Ops" as one of our categories. So, should I add "mission" to this category descriptor in order to get a better mission count? Also, how do I set a mission to use this category automatically? I notice that I can do it with events on the calendar.

Thanks,
JL
Jeff Lehman
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »
So, should I add "mission" to this category descriptor in order to get a better mission count?
Yes.

Also, how do I set a mission to use this category automatically?
MM will search all the Time Keeping categories for the word "Mission" and use that one when adding automatic mission entries.

Mike

jlehman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
I will do that. Thanks.

JL
Jeff Lehman
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

jlehman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
I know that this is an old topic, but I just ran a report on hours for the year, and it seems that the training hours are caught, but the Mission hours aren't. Per this thread I included "mission" in the category, but it doesn't seem to "take". There are more than one mission categories (this is a construct of my particular department). They have names like "122 Search Ops. - Mission". Is there a modification that I need to do to the category name to catch the name?

Thanks,
JL
Jeff Lehman
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Are you talking about the categories in the time-keeping or, mission names?  The total year end reports will only total up the time info in the time-keeping page.  The Mission times are transferred into time-keeping records when the user checks out (if the configuration is set to do so).  All times in a mission are considered "mission" time regardless of the mission name.  (hmmm, maybe I need to change that?). 

Does that help any?

Mike