Author Topic: Training Log  (Read 9131 times)

jlehman

• View Profile
    • San Bernardino County Sheriff's SAR
Training Log
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »
I think that I saw this discussed previously, but I couldn't find anything in a search. I am sorry if it has already been batted about...

It would be nice to have the ability to document training activities similar to missions. It doesn't need all of the functionality of a mission, but it would be nice to take all of the people who have RSVP'ed to a training event, and have them associated with a short narrative (who, what, where, when) about the training. It would be nice to capture those things in Mission Manager. It would also help planning in subsequent years.

Thoughts?

JL
Jeff Lehman
San Bernardino County SAR
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Training Log
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
We often create Missions that are really Training's and check people in to document the training event.  A type of event more specific to Training is a good idea.  I'll add something to the wish list.

Thanks,
Mike

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
My team just started printing all that info to pdf files.  We then save the files to the "Field Training Plans" section of our operations manual wiki.  Maybe you could do something similar with the new documents section.

jlehman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »
This is related to my previous question/suggestion, so I figure I will post it here.

For our mandated periodic performance review, I need to track dates of training, what was covered, and who attended. This is separate from the specific personal certifications that need to be tracked and maintained. This information is available in a couple of places. It could come from RSVP information for events, or it could come from the time keeping that is associated with a particular event. It would be nice to have a way to report a list of trainings and/or missions with a listing of who was present. Our time keeping lists hours, but they are not granular with respect to the type of training. Any ideas? For many years, it was an Excel spreadsheet, but all of the info is in MM, so maybe there is an angle there. Previously, it was suggested to use missions for training too. I suppose that I could use the personnel status report to do what I am suggesting.

Thanks,
JL
Jeff Lehman
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
I'm sure this isn't a perfect solution, but could you keep detailed information about particular training in an in place MM Document?  It's a little like your old spreadsheet tracking, but it would make the document more accessible. 

jlehman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
Yeah, I have an SQL database with a PHP interface that I cobbled together a couple of years ago (I'm a hack). I may continue to use that. I was just hoping that I could extract the data from MM in some fashion. The database works fine, but I have to improve the reports. Maybe a spreadsheet is the easier way to go...Thanks.

JL
Jeff Lehman
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org