Author Topic: Phone Tethering  (Read 8451 times)

Radishworks

• View Profile
Phone Tethering
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
For those of you who have a Android Smart Phone I wanted to point out this little application for tethering, its PdaNet (www.junefabrics.com) .  This application installs on your smart phone and allows you to connect your phone via USB cable to a computer (PC or Mac) for Internet access.  Seems to work pretty well.

Mike

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
Re: Phone Tethering
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »
I use this software on a regular basis and it works well.  The only problem is that of any cell phone connection - your internet connection is only as reliable as your cell phone signal.

ryensen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
Hello,

I am brand new to the community and am working with another community member to get our AZ team set up on this amazing and wonderful tool you have developed.  Hopefully I have done my research of all the other posts to ensure this question has not been asked yet; but have you considered an android app?  It would be great as an Ops Leader to be able to send out the initial mission notice and subsequent 'follow up' details via my droid while en route to CP.  It is challenging to get to a computer some times, such as middle of night call outs, when I work helo shift and need to call out my team from air or on scene, etc.

Thanks again for the great work!  RY

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »
Welcome RY!

this amazing and wonderful tool you have developed
Thanks  :D

but have you considered an android app?
Absolutely.  I have an Android Phone and I've already been experimenting with apps for MM.  The longer story here is the Web is evolving quickly with new HTML5 features.  I'm avoiding fully developing and releasing specific Android apps, but rather make MM features run in the native browser.  The advantage is not having to create separate applications for Androids, Blackberries, iPhones, etc.  Give HTML5 a little more time to take hold and you'll be seeing a lot more powerful Web based applications.

It would be great as an Ops Leader to be able to send out the initial mission notice and subsequent 'follow up' details via my droid while en route to CP
We do this very thing now.  On the Messages screen there is a "Mini Screen" check box.  If you check this from your Android, you'll see the messages screen fits nicely on the smaller screen.

Another thing to look into is setting up a message line via Twilio.  With a message line you can call a phone number, leave a message and with the press of a button on the keypad send that message (voice and text notifications) to all your team members.  Check out the "How to set up a Message Line" in the Help screen.

Thanks for the post.

Mike

ryensen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
Thank you for the tip on the mini screen, it looks great :)  I will look into the Twilio account as well.

Thx again!  RY

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
It would be great as an Ops Leader to be able to send out the initial mission notice and subsequent 'follow up' details via my droid while en route to CP
There are also the message forwarding tools, which work great from any device that can send an email (smart phone).