Author Topic: Computer Recommendations  (Read 8835 times)

tkleager

• View Profile
    • Scotts Bluff County CERT
Computer Recommendations
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »
After our team observed the use of your program in the field last week, they have approved the purchase of a lap top that will be just for our team use.  I have been using my personal laptop.

So I'm looking for recommendation from others who use the program as to what they use in the field to run MM.  I looked at a Panasonic Toughbook, but that is so out of the question..

So please, give me some ideas for hardware , software.  What do you do to protect from dust, water, and the elements?  What do you do for net access when you don't have WiFi, or hard wire access?  What do you use to transport to and from the field?

We will also be using this laptop to do some of our training PowerPoints, and some other basic team work, so I know we will be putting Office on there.

Thanks,

Tyler Kleager
Scotts Bluff County CERT
www.scottsbluffcountycert.org
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:49:14 PM by tkleager »
Tyler Kleager
Scotts Bluff County CERT Webmaster

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Computer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
My recommendation is, whatever works.  MM really doesn't take much computing power.  The most intense screen is the mapping screen and that has more to do with using a fast browser (anything but IE) more than anything else.  Tough is good for field work, but as you've seen you pay dearly for that.  I'd rather buy 3 "disposable" laptops rather than one expensive tough one. 

Bottom line is anything in the $600-$700 for a laptop should be fine. 

As we've used MM more and more in the field, we have found that more laptops is better.  We started with 3, moved to 6, and now I think we are up to 10 that go to every mission. 

Mike

toddclausen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:29 AM »
Our team has had good luck finding the Panasonic Toughbooks on eBay.  There are many resellers who have dozens at a time as Police Depts, etc replace with new. You can get a 2-3 year old 13" screen model for $400 or less.

I agree more computers are better than one, especially if you have a slow internet connection.  We have a machine dedicated to mapping, one for logging and another for check in and team assignment.
Todd Clausen
People and Paws SAR

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
I second, or is that third, the motion for lots of inexpensive computers.  My team went through this a while back and we now have an awesome setup.  Our computers are a bit overkill for Mission Manager.  I selected them based on the big bright screen and comfortably sized keyboard.  The computers were actually the easiest part of the whole setup.  Most of the time and money went into mobile networking and fancy storage solutions.  You can see some details here.  Let us know how it goes and if you need any help.

tkleager

• View Profile
    • Scotts Bluff County CERT
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »
Thanks guys for the advice.

We are in the process of putting together a RFP to send out to our local computer dealers to see what they can come up for us.

We are going to to with the following minimum specs:

15.6” Display
1.6GH Processor (i series processor or equivalent)
2GB RAM
250GB Hard Drive (please specify 5400 or 7200 RPM)
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
Digital Media Card Reader – Internal or external USB
DVDRW Drive
Windows 7 Professional (32bit)
Microsoft Office, W/Adobe Acrobat X Standard, (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
Corded Optical Mouse
Laptop Bag
90 Watt 3 prong Slim 110 AC Adapter with Power Cord
90 Watt Auto-Air 12 VDC Adapter (in vehicle charger)

Right now I'm just going after one computer.  Will work that out later with needing more.

I am going to shoot for creating a Network in a Box like I have see that Jeff and Mike have.  Just have to come up with the $$$.  I really like the network stuff you have set up, and we are working with a local company who is willing to donate us an air card for the cause, so now I will work on the router, and printer after.

Thanks again,

Tyler Kleager
Tyler Kleager
Scotts Bluff County CERT Webmaster

TARSAR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
Tyler,
The only upgrades I would suggest would be more RAM and going with Windows 7 64bit not 32bit.  The 32 bit platform limits the amount of RAM you'll be able to use to 4GB (3.5 usable), whereas the 64bit platform (Professional Version) will handle up to 192GB of RAM.  Your laptop may not be able to handle that maximum amount, but the operating system can.  Where this comes in to play is when opening multiple applications.  With 2GB of RAM on a laptop, you'll notice the hit to performance as you have more programs/windows open.  The operating system is the same cost whether it's 32 or 64 bit and with the price of RAM as cheap as it is, it shouldn't cost much to upgrade to say 4Gb or 8GB.  I know from crucial.com I recently purchased an 8GB RAM kit for a Sony laptop and it was $45.  Well worth the investment.