Author Topic: Calendar went crazy  (Read 7703 times)

SDCART1

• View Profile
Calendar went crazy
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »
I added a training event for next month and set it to request an RSVP, with two reminders: one today and one next week.  Shortly thereafter, I got a call from a couple of my team members that they were getting multiple (as many as 200) e-mails that looked like this:

Date: Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Subject: [SDCART] DSN: failed (Mission Manager - Event RSVP - Monthly training -)
To:

I was also in the same team, but only received the one reminder.  I did RSVP when I made the calendar entry, but I have only hear from two people on my team so far.  Did I do something wrong, or can I blame it on sunspot activity?

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Calendar went crazy
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
MM Notified me something was wrong, and I'm looking into it. 

It looks like an automatic reminder when out and somehow one of your member email accounts responded back to the email forwarder you have set up.  Since the the email came from one of your registered members, MM forwarded it out, which then generated another forward, repeat, repeat.   Yikes!

I have disabled your forwarding, until I can put a trap in MM forwarding to catch this case and stop it from happening again.   On your end you might check for any of your email accounts that is forwarding to your forwarding address set up in the Configuration.

Sorry for the trouble.

Mike

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
Thanks for checking.  I'll try to track down the culprit.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
OK, I found the problem.  Here's what happened:

In your configuration your teams default email address was set to S*****@radiswhworks.com.  And, your forwarding addresses were also set to S***** also.  So today:
  • A Calendar event reminder was happily sent out by MM
  • One of your members has a bad address and the calendar reminder bounced ( DSN: failed message )
  • This message bounces back to the return address: S*****@radiswhworks.com
  • Since S*****@radiswhworks.com is your forwarding address, MM forwarded the DSN: failed message to your whole group
  • One of the people who is in your group has that bad email address, so this forward message bounced again, it bounced back to S*****@radiswhworks.com
  • MM saw an another forwarding email and went back to step number 4, and so on, and so on...
MM has been fixed to trap this issue and not let this happen again.  A few things you may want to change for your groups Configuration:
  • The return address should be different than any of your forwarding addresses
  • You want to make your forwarding prefixes different for all your message types (email, phone and SMS).  If these are all the same prefix MM doesn't know which place to forward your message, but it will default to the first match, which is email.
Sorry for the trouble with this, it was one of those test cases that got missed.  Thanks for finding this bug!

Regards,
Mike

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
Oh God!  An infinite "Do Loop"!  I haven't done one of those since I did programming on computer cards.  Thanks for fixing this.  I will track down my team member with the bad address and make the suggested changes to our forwarding addresses.