Author Topic: Keep connection alive option  (Read 5947 times)

Greg W

• View Profile
Keep connection alive option
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »
We had a search in which we used two separate satellite connections into our router. It seemed as if the satellite connection would drop after periods of inactivity and take a couple of minutes to reconnect to the satellite. This led to the usual connectivity related frustrations where everything would hang. I am curious if anyone has experience with anything similar with satellite connections and if it might be possible to create an option in MM to keep the connection alive by pinging something on the internet at an interval of time.

I think that our router has that feature but I have not enabled it yet and did not think of it at the time. Since not all routers have that feature it might be useful to have in MM if it is not a bunch of work.

Thanks for all you do for us.

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Keep connection alive option
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
When a Mission is active, most all MM screens ping the Internet every 30 seconds or so.  Its always looking updated mission information.  The more computers logged into a mission the more often a ping should be running through your network.  The problem you describe sounds like something mucking up in the hardware - unfortunately. 

An experiment you might try is to open something like stock quotes in a Google page.  This would cause a ping every few seconds or so.  If a shorter ping time helps with the issues, maybe we could look a MM feature that would help.

Mike

Greg W

• View Profile
Re: Keep connection alive option
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »
Ok, thanks, that is good to know. In that case it seems like it was just a flaky connection to the satellites. Supposedly they are getting all new equipment that will be faster and hopefully more reliable.