Author Topic: SARApp Search and Rescue Smart Phone App  (Read 14448 times)

CKeller

• View Profile
SARApp Search and Rescue Smart Phone App
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
Hello, everyone.  I'd like to introduce to the Forums a new capability that has been designed to work with Mission Manager.  It is a Smart Phone App called SARApp that is intended to document searchers’ activities in the field and to collect and geo-tag evidence using these phones.  The software was recently introduced on the Android and iTunes App stores as a free download.  You can read more about it on our website, www.sarapp.com.

SARApp has two pieces - the Client App works on smart phones in the field, and the web-based SARApp Server is intended to be used in the Incident Command Post.  Mission Manager users can simply and transparently use MM in lieu of SARApp's own server.  The Client tracks searchers' progress and sends the GPS-derived tracks back to Mission Manager (when 3G connectivity exists) for immediate viewing in the ICP.  Searchers can also see each other’s tracks while in the field, as well as their assigned search sectors. If a piece of evidence is found, the searcher can snap a photo or video using the phone and upload it - complete with the lat/long of the location - to Mission Manager.

Any time connectivity with field personnel is not available, the phone stores the track data and waits until it is within cell or Wi-Fi coverage to push the data to Mission Manager.

SARApp was originally developed as a poor-man's way of documenting search activity.  It was designed to streamline the process of downloading GPS tracks, to improve planning and coordination for searches that go into multiple operational periods.  The "real time tracking" / situational awareness capability is an added bonus.

To use SARApp with Mission Manager, do the following:

1.  Obtain an API key from Mission Manager.  This is the "code" that allows the two pieces of software to connect.  On the Member page, at the bottom, there is a tab for API keys.  Create your own API key, then have Mission Manager email it to you.

2.  Go to your favorite App store and search for SARApp.  Download and install the App to your Smart Phone (note: tablets with GPS receivers work as well, if you want to carry one around).

3.  Retrieve your API key from your email; copy and paste it into the field on the SARApp Login Page.  Turn on the "Mission Manager" button.

4.  Enter a username and password of your choice on the SARApp Login page, then hit the Register/Check in button.  Fill out the fields with your name, organization, and phone number.  In the last field "Volunteer To:" fill in the name of the organization to which you are volunteering for search.   Hit “Done” to get back to the Login Page.

5.  Once you have a been assigned a team and sector to search on Mission Manager, the assignment can be pulled down to your phone using the "Get Assignment" button on the Login Page.  Note that Mission Manager plots all members of a team as one track; to avoid confusion, either assign one person per team or only have one team member use SARApp at a time for tracking.

6.  The App was designed to be super-easy to use in the field so you can focus on searching and not playing with your phone.  You can start and stop tracking from the Management page.  The Detail page shows information on the search subject, any photos you’ve taken, and the other active searchers.  You can see your assigned sector, watch your progress, and change default settings on the Map page. For more information on how to use it, please refer to the documentation on www.sarapp.com.

The point of developing SARApp was to improve the efficiency of search operations.  We want it to work for you and are committed to helping you with any problems.  Most importantly, we welcome your feedback.  Please send comments and questions to support@sarapp.com; we hope to eventually set up a forum on the SARApp website for this purpose.  We will do our best to address every inquiry we receive. 

Thank you for trying SARApp.  We hope you find it useful.

>SARApp Support
San Diego CA

Colleen Keller
Senior Analyst, Metron, Inc.
Missing Aircraft Search Team
San Diego, CA

SDCART1

• View Profile
Re: SARApp Search and Rescue Smart Phone App
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
This sounds great.  Just downloaded it onto my Droid 4G and filled out all the registration info.  But I keep getting an error message:

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
Error message reads: "The server name <www.sarapp.com> is unreachable."  I will keep trying.

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »
Thanks for the quick help.  I was able to log in.  Now for a test drive on a scenario!

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
Just a followup.  It is all working now, thanks to the great support from you and your team.  I am anxious to get my whole team on line with this! 

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
FYI everyone, I just got the new version of SARApp pushed to my android.  The new login tab is a little easier to figure out for getting to Mission Manager now.  Once you select Mission Manager as your server, the SARApp server fields are hidden, since it doesn't need the info.  I heard a similar iPhone update went out too.