Author Topic: Mission Manager - 5.5 New Mapping and Other Features  (Read 9774 times)

Radishworks

• View Profile
Mission Manager - 5.5 New Mapping and Other Features
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »
MM Version 5.5 is now live, there are new features:
  • Documents Screen is now available on missions. The documents added there can only be seen when that mission is open.
  • Mapping marker icon is now colored to match the selected text.
  • Mapping circle can be given a label along with its radius.
  • Mapping new Pie object type that can be useful when plotting cell phone tower hits.
  • Several UI changes and improvements.

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
Re: Mission Manager - 5.5 New Mapping and Other Features
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »
I think there is a typo in azimuth for the new pies.  I really like this feature and we will probably use it for the ELT searches we get tested at the MRA qualifications.  Is there a handy way to start a pie directly from a set of coordinates rather than clicking on the map?  We usually have teams radio in UTMs and a bearing.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:38:54 AM »
I think there is a typo in azimuth for the new pies.
Fixed.

Is there a handy way to start a pie directly from a set of coordinates rather than clicking on the map?
Yes!  If you have the circle or pie tool selected, then type a location in the search box and press the Mark button.  What ever tool is selected will be what type object added to the map.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »
The new Pie object has been enhanced and has a new "Width".  You can draw map areas like the attached image.

Del Morris

• View Profile
    • Sonoma County Search and Rescue Unit
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »
Pie feature is great Thanks -

Is it possible to set the Circles and Pies to be capable of "break a line" and modify its shape [similar to your polygon] .. on the arch maybe an edit grab point every 5 degrees  ... if moved it then becomes a straight line and then we start seeing bisecting edit points?

I'd like to be able to start with the Circle and then tweak it to the shape of terrain features or roadways.
As in setting a theoretical search area  circle that runs into a cliff - I'd like to be able to calculate search area based on seeing this confinement feature being taken out of the equation by not having to redraw a polygon after the circle has been formed..
Del Morris
Chair NASAR TEC
Sonoma SAR

(707)338-4760
===========================
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information and should be read or used by the intended recipient. Please visualize the smil

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:57:37 AM »
Its possible, but it would take a bit of work.  I'll add it to the wish list.

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »
I'm a little confused by the width parameter on the Pie function.  I put in a .2 mile radius pie and got what I expected.  When I changed the width, the maximum distance of the draw object from the center seemed to increase from .2 miles, maybe using the radius as the center of the newly created annulus.  Is this right?  Would it be better to leave the radius as the max radius and use (radius-width) to give the new minimum radius?

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:12:41 AM »
When using the width setting expands the radius from its center.  1/2 greater than the radius and 1/2 less than the radius.  In other words, the radius goes down the center of the width band. 

The pie is most often used when using cell phone tower ping data.  Cell phone providers often give a distance to tower value (the Radius), then there is a +/- range this distance measurement is correct (the Width).  The purpose of the Pie is to draw an estimated area where a subject might be or have been.

Hope that clears things up.