Author Topic: Mass Check-in Log Jam  (Read 11118 times)

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
Mass Check-in Log Jam
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
After a recent search with a large rescuer turnout, I got some feedback from my team about difficulties getting checked in.  I wasn't there, so I'll just post what they sent me.

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
Re: Mass Check-in Log Jam
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
From Bill R.

Problem Identification:

1. Checking in at home - [ the IC] doesnt know they are available, and an additional input to the system need to be made to indicate such, making the 1st (home) input redundant.
   2. Checking in the web interface, while simple, needs a web connection.  I've done it with my drooid but it's quite awkward.

Ideas: 

1. Focusing on making check in easier, have a mobile interface made for web phones - a bare bones page with log in, check-in, check-out and end of shift time.  Many websites have mobile versions of thier pages that are much easier to navigate.
   2. Check-in via phone tree. 
      "Welcome enter your pin number to access your account"
      "Press 1 select mission"
      "Press 1 to check in, 2 to check out, 3 to enter end of shift time.."
      etc
   3. Replace our team id with ones that have a magnetic strip that identifies us.  Checking in would be as quick as swiping the card through a reader.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:08:35 PM by Radishworks »

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »
Having a lot people show up at once would be a real challenge for any system or T-Card method to manage.     

From a Search Managers perspective, while it takes a a few more seconds for searchers to enter their end of shift date and time, rather than just hand a T-Card to check in person, I think what happens on the Operations side is many-many times more efficient electronically.  Once searchers are checked it, its just a matter of drag and drop them into a team spot and sending them into the field.

As far as some other method of check in Smart Phone, Mobile App etc.  I can see this causing a lot of issues.  Reason is people who are "checked in" are expected to be in the staging area and ready to be sent into the field.  Having someone check in "en-route" would make for confusion looking for them at the CP. 

It almost seems like an "express" checking line would be in order for those who just need to login, and another computer for those who need to enter more information.  Just and idea.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:30:57 PM by Radishworks »

SAR53336

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:53:31 PM »
Is there a way that we could use a barcode scanner (or magnetic stripe scanner) to pull the information from a Driver's License and populate the information into building a new member profile?

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
Is there a way that we could use a barcode scanner (or magnetic stripe scanner) to pull the information from a Driver's License and populate the information into building a new member profile?

Not currently, but an interesting idea.  I'm sure there is some clever app out there that would populate HTML fields from a card reader. 

Most teams input their member information before the mission.  Then on check in the member just needs to type their ID number, enter mileage and they are on-scene.  Another advantage to having member data in the DB is each member has their own login (with limited access) and can maintain their information at all times.   This has been a huge advantage to us, because all info is always up-to-date, especially callout phone numbers and SMS addresses.

Mike

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
One other note on this thread.  The Check In Screen now automatically sets the checking date/time, EOS date/time, and all the member needs to fill in is the mileage.   

This should improve checking speed by quite a bit.

Mike

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
I know this is a necro-thread, but I saw an ID for a San Diego SAR member last Friday and it now has a bar code on it.  As a County employee, my ID doesn't have the bar code but it does have an RFID so I can access buildings.  Either of these options at checkin would really speed things up.

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »
I'm not so sure that it would.  The whole bar code - RFID - retina scanner thing would only ease the individual look up portion of checking in, which really doesn't take much time at all.  The difference between scanning a bar code and typing my last name isn't much.  The time consuming part is entering any data that has changed.

I think the biggest problems I have seen are largely related to getting accustom to using computers on a search.  It's just a different way of working than lots of people are used to, and it takes some time to get people in the habit.  When you get a whiz kid up there, it usually takes less than 30 seconds for the check in process, but if you get someone who has never used a track pad before, it can be painful to watch.

My team is having another simulated search training this weekend.  I'll take notes and report on how it goes.