Author Topic: Assignments tab in mission  (Read 8322 times)

SDCART1

• View Profile
Assignments tab in mission
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:30:13 AM »
Would it be possible to add a tab into the missions (like Clues and Subjects) that is for Assignments?  In the last month we have worked two large fires and MM has worked great.  But we find that we usually have numerous assignments (addresses that need to be checked for evacuation of animals) before we even have personnel on scene to create teams.  Usually, our dispatch will receive phone calls from the public requesting assistance.  If there was an Assignment tab, the dispatcher could directly enter that information as it came in.  Then, when we have established our IC/Staging and have personnel available, we could open the assignment tab, find several assignments, and give that to one team.  As it stands, I have to create the team, then create the assignment.  Once they finish the assignment, I have to disband the team, create a new team (usually with the same team members), then give them a new assignment.  This can be challenging when I have two teams that are going door-to-door checking a couple dozen residences each.

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Assignments tab in mission
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »
I understand what you are looking for, something like a TODO list.  Before this gets added to the wish list, let me ask: would it work if you just appended/changed each assignment t the same team in the team's Objectives or Notes field?

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
It is a very detailed TODO list.  Here is what we are trying to accomplish:
During a fire/disaster evacuation, we receive requests for assistance, or are given information regarding specific locations where animals must be removed or cared for.  Our team goes to the address and meets with the resident, if they haven't already evacuated.  An evaluation is made of the potential threat to that property at that time and whether the animals need to be removed or if they can shelter in place.  Either can occur.  Sometimes the residents refuse to evacuate and refuse to let us remove their animals.  All of this needs to be documented individually for each address we visit.  On the latest fires, we were using the Event log to try and track each individual address.  However, the Event log is limited on the level of detail that we can list.  We need to list the following: address, GPS (for after the fire), contact name, contact phone number, number and type of animals, details about equipment access, special conditions of the animals, disposition of the animals, whether the animals had food and water available, when the site needs to be visited next to re-feed and water, etc.  After a firestorm passes through, it can be several days before residents are allowed to return to their property.  In the interim, we use the information that I have described to know which locations need to be visited to care for the animals that were left behind.  (We have a separate program for tracking the animals information once they have arrived at our Receiving location.)  But the MM information would be used again when it is time to return the animals to their homes.
Because the IC is usually a couple of miles or more (nearly 20 for the Ranchita fire) from the operations area, the teams will be gone for several hours if they are not actually picking up animals.  All of the Animal Control vehicles have computers in them and can access MM.  They can update their assignments in the field as they complete them and move to the next one.  I could give them more assignments and the information would be on their computer without returning to IC.  The existing Assignments form will meet our needs, although I noticed that the "Assigned/Report to:" and "Location:" autopopulate with the IC address info.  I haven't tried but if I can just manually override that it would be ideal.  Then we would be able to easily organize all of our response locations by address.
Thanks for your consideration on this.  Mission Manager as it stands has proven itself to be a great benefit to our group, and we are still exploring all of its potential.  Thank you again for making this available to groups like ours.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the detailed description of the wish.   :D

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:34 AM »
Thanks again for your hard work and consideration on this.

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:17:44 AM »
Would the current Tasks feature work for this?  Maybe you could have mission specific tasks, similar to the mission specific documents.