Author Topic: A couple of improvements/suggestions.  (Read 6722 times)

chrisduryea

• View Profile
A couple of improvements/suggestions.
« on: September 05, 2012, 01:15:38 AM »
Hi all,

I have just started using Mission Manager in Australia as I only just found the program and it is very well designed and has some great features. So you have done fantastic work to get it to the level that it is at. I'm a SAR coordinator and have managed a number of searches and have tried other programs which all have their limitations. Having the ability to integrate with android/apple devices for in field tracking is very handy for situational awareness. I can see this system being a very powerful tool. Keep up the good work.

Just a few areas/bugs that could make it a bit easier to use if your interested. I haven't used all the functions as yet and am still learning so some of these may have already been addressed I may just need to be guided in the right direction.

General:
Locating the Forward Command Post - When you press the location button if it went to the map page where you could then scroll to the location and drop a pin rather then inputting a lat/long.
Same as with the LKP (Last Known Position) for the missing subject.

Subject:
Entering the DOB of someone is easy either type it in or using the drop down menu except the year doesn't scroll so you need to go in and out each time to select another 10years, being able to scroll this would be great.

Drop down menus for the Race/Build/Comp/Eye Colour/Hair Colour. I can supply the standard ones we use if needed.

Vehicles - Adding one for Vessels (Colour, maybe a section for attaching a photo.) Or can multiple pictures be uploaded in whole subject field.

Next of kin,witness,witness,person,friends - email address.

That will do for now don't want to make the list too big for my first post. I'll keep looking to help improve MM, I wish i had the ability to develop something like this. Your a legend for making it.
Thanks Chris

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: A couple of improvements/suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »
Welcome Chris.  Thank you so much for your kind words about Mission Manager, they are much appreciated!  A 2nd thank you for taking the time to make your suggestions and comments, you have some great feedback.
Locating the Forward Command Post
I've gone back and forth on the best way to locate the command post and all the other GPS location points.  I've hesitated to add all the different buttons needed on the map screen to mark all the points.  One of the foundation development guidelines for MM is to keep it as simple as possible without making too many buttons and options.  I usually click on the map, highlight and copy a GPS point, then paste it in the field.  Once the location pushpin is on the map, you can move it around on the map screen if the Pan / Edit button is selected.  I'll keep thinking about a better way to do this, I agree there are too many steps for this.
another 10years, being able to scroll this would be great.
Done.  You can now scroll +/- 130 years.
Vehicles - Adding one for Vessels
Done.  The Vehicles section has been changed to Vehicles / Vessels.  Seems to make sense since they both have the same info.
Vehicles / Vessels Colour
Added.  I can't believe we didn't have this one!
Next of kin,witness,witness,person,friends - email address.
Done.  Added for each.
Drop down menus for the Race/Build/Comp/Eye Colour/Hair Colour
I hesitate to add a dropdown that limits the options.  If there was a set list someone would want something different.  Maybe a new configuration option at some point would be best.
Vehicles / Vessels maybe a section for attaching a photo.) Or can multiple pictures be uploaded in whole subject field.
This is what the "Documents" section is really for.  When you are inside a mission the documents are for that mission only.  This again falls under the keep it simple method.

Regards,
Mike  :)
Radishworks

chrisduryea

• View Profile
Re: A couple of improvements/suggestions.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »
Hi Mike,

Well that is the fastest response I have every seen in relation to making modifications to a program. Your a legend Thanks.

I see where your coming from re the ICP. I didn't realise that you could move it manually once it has been placed. Yeah the current system is ok now that I understand how it works.

One part I really like is the ability to customise the fields in different areas specific to each agency.
Regarding the drop down menus limiting description, I know what you mean I'm just used to having the standard ones so people don't make up their own that no one else knows what it means. (You would be surprised what people have come up with over the years, well maybe not if you have been doing this for a while.)

Cool I understand the documents section now and how you thought about it.

Great work.
Cheers Chris