Author Topic: Checking out of a Mission  (Read 12491 times)

gayle

• View Profile
Checking out of a Mission
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
Hello - this may be a silly question - but I can not find how a person Checks themselves out of a Mission.

Is there a screen for taking themselves out of the Mission?

Thank you -

Gayle

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Checking out of a Mission
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
Members can't check themselves out of a mission unless they have mission access permission.  Members who have mission access can check members out of a mission by dragging their name to the "Checked Out" section on the Personnel screen.

gayle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »
Would it be possible to add a "Check Out" of Mission option?

Would be nice for folks to be able to do it on there own - just like I give them the permission to Check In.

=Gayle

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
Hmmm, maybe.  I'll have to add this to the wishlist.  Typicality teams don't want people checking themselves out without someone in command knowing about them leaving.   The check in screen only permission wasn't really designed so people would just check themselves in it was designed for a people who help command by checking people into a mission as they arrive. 

I'd like to hear some other thoughts from other teams about what they think about people checking themselves in and out of a mission?

Thanks,
Mike

tkleager

• View Profile
    • Scotts Bluff County CERT
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
Typicality teams don't want people checking themselves out without someone in command knowing about them leaving.   The check in screen only permission wasn't really designed so people would just check themselves in it was designed for a people who help command by checking people into a mission as they arrive.

I believe that this would lead to a conflict.  If you can just check out on your own, who is going to know when you left? 
We actually have a double system when it comes to check in and out.  Not only do you check in with the scribe on MM, but you also must check in on paper in a basic ICS form.  This covers things just in case the computers crash, or we have a network crash.  When you check out, you must do so with the scribe, who checks you out on the computer, and you must sign out on paper.

During a major mission two years ago, we had a member who just left his post, got in his car and went home.  Nobody knew he had gone home.  It wasn't until someone went to relieve him at his post when we discovered he had gone.  It took a couple of phone calls to find him.  At that point we were pulling resources back in to go look for him.  Needless to say he was removed from the team.
Tyler Kleager
Scotts Bluff County CERT Webmaster
www.scottsbluffcountycert.org

gayle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »
But that's the whole beauty of MM - You WOULD know!!!

As soon as the person checks out - his name would populate in the "Checked Out" section of the Personnel tab within the Mission.

I see it as a bonus.

Let's say I'm a K9 team and I come back from an Assignment - as soon as my  Assignment has been Debriefed and "Completed" my name populates back into the Personnel Status column as "Available".

But - let's say I know I can not take my K9 back out without at least an hour's rest.  I would like the ability to stay on scene - "Check Out" so that Command does not reassign me. 

Then when I know my K9 is available for another Assignment I would "Check In" and be listed once again in the Personnel Status as "Available".

gayle

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
Good discussion.  I fall on the side of only letting people check out with command.  But I'm open to the possibility a setting that would let a team set a check out option if that's what they wanted. 

I would assume a "Check Out" permission would only allow the person to check themselves out and no one else?  Which raises the issue of the way the check in screen works - the "Check In" permission allows someone to check anyone into a mission - would a check in "yourself only" make sense?

Mike

gayle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
Not quite sure why allowing folks the ability to check themselves out is an issue that causes trepidation.

But I am super glad that you can see some benefit and would consider giving the ability to individual teams if they wanted it!!

Once again - you Rock!!

And to address the question in your post; I don't have an issue with the way you have Check In set up - I do not see a need to make it User Only.

gayle

Greg W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
For our team, I would prefer to keep it as is but there may be teams that it would work well to have self-checkout. We may already have put the person onto a new team but not deployed or briefed yet and if the person is suddenly gone we would lose some time. A debrief may need to be completed before departure as well. Most members know this but I can see some people "forgetting" and checking out.

Perhaps it can be an option that a team can choose to use or not.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
OK, I think I have the best of all worlds here.  There is now the following new/changed member permissions:

Mission - Can Check In on Active - When this option is selected the member can access select active mission to access the Check In Screen and check into that mission.  If a member has read-only access to missions, having this permission will still allow them to check in members while the rest of the mission will remain read-only.

Mission - Can Check Out on Active - When this option is selected the member can access select active mission to access the Check In Screen and check out of that mission.  If a member has read-only access to missions, having this permission will still allow them to check in members while the rest of the mission will remain read-only.  This permission also allows those with mission access to check people out from the Check in/Out screen.  As with all permissions Administrators will also get this permission and have a Check Out option on the Check In screen.

Mission - Check In/Out Self Only - this option restricts members from checking in/out any other members except themselves from the Check In/Out screen.  Those who have mission access can still check members out from the Personnel screen.  This option is only designed to be used when the above Mission - Can Check In on Active or Mission - Can Check Out on Active options are used.

Mike

tkleager

• View Profile
    • Scotts Bluff County CERT
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
But that's the whole beauty of MM - You WOULD know!!!

As soon as the person checks out - his name would populate in the "Checked Out" section of the Personnel tab within the Mission.

I see it as a bonus.

Let's say I'm a K9 team and I come back from an Assignment - as soon as my  Assignment has been Debriefed and "Completed" my name populates back into the Personnel Status column as "Available".

But - let's say I know I can not take my K9 back out without at least an hour's rest.  I would like the ability to stay on scene - "Check Out" so that Command does not reassign me. 

Then when I know my K9 is available for another Assignment I would "Check In" and be listed once again in the Personnel Status as "Available".

gayle

We created a position under the ICS Positions called "On Break"  this was for members who wished to remain on a mission, but needed to take a rest.  The way we run things is that you "Check Out" when you are completely done on a mission for the day or operational period.  This way they do not show in the Available list, but are still on the Mission.  When they are ready to go again, we move them back onto the Available list and assign the out as needed.

Maybe this is a future "Wish List" item that could be included on the Personnel page, an On Break position.

I'm with Greg W on this one.
Tyler Kleager
Scotts Bluff County CERT Webmaster
www.scottsbluffcountycert.org