Author Topic: Clue location on team maps  (Read 6218 times)

SDCART1

• View Profile
Clue location on team maps
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »
While setting up our training this last weekend, I had 12 locations that I was going to send teams to.  In utilizing MM for our animal response team, we are using the clues tab in the following manner:
When information arrives to the IC that there are animals in need of assistance, this is entered as a clue.  This page gives us enough room to put in the details of the call - numbers of animals, owner/contact info, who called it in (owner, passerby, our Scouts, Sheriff, etc.), address, potential hazards, etc.  Using the Google map, we can then get the GPS coordinates, or directly enter them if we have that from the field unit.  The Clue icon then shows up on the map that we can see at the IC.  That is great, and allows us to cluster responses for more efficient operations.

The glitch is that when I go to dispatch a team (Scout, Truck with trailer, etc.) and I print a Team map, the Clue icon does not show up and I cannot select it as an "Area" to send a team.  I have to add a new Location icon on the map.   It would be handy if I didn't have to do this extra step.

The other thing I noticed was the scaling on the team map that I print out for them.  It seems that it defaults to always have the CP on the map.  This can cause a substantial loss in resolution.  Sometimes our CP is several miles from the team's destination (more than 10 miles during last year's Ranchita fire).  Is there some way I can zoom the team map in before I print it?

Thanks.

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Clue location on team maps
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
Great use of MM Clues for something different!

I can't help but wonder if just using the map markers and adding all your information in the popup bubble might be better for you.  This way the marker could be then assigned to a team and would print on the team map.  Do you think that would work better?

Is there some way I can zoom the team map in before I print it?
You could print the map for a team via the Maps page.  This will allow you to print any view you like, it will also include clues.  If you really want to avoid the CP printing on the team map (its there so teams always know where the CP is), you could make the CP a map marker and not fill in the CP location one the General screen. 

Just some ideas, there are some wish list items out there that make the Clues screen more customizable, but those new features won't happen for a bit.

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
I'll play with those a bit and see how it works.  The location bubbles might not hold enough info, or would become so big that they would obliterate the map itself.  The current method works, it just takes that extra step. 

Thanks.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
If the location bubbles work, but you just need more space, I know a guy who might be able to make them a little larger  ;)  Do some experimenting and see what you think.