Author Topic: Map Layer Request  (Read 8743 times)

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
Map Layer Request
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
I think adding overlays for cell coverage or tower locations of the big national service providers would be very useful.  I'm often hunting around for that information and having it in Mission Manager would be great.

Unfortunately, when I did a little poking around I didn't find much in the way of data sources.  The most promising thing I found was a planned API by the folks at OpenSignal, but I don't think it's quite what we want.

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Map Layer Request
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:04 AM »
Very good request, unfortunately as you said the problem is finding the data sources. 

First the good news: MM already supports cell towers and will read towers location files automatically with the Map Import function.  These files are supplied by cell phone companies, usually when a exigent warrant is requested for cell phone locations / pings.  MM understands and will map cell tower locations files from many of the large cell phone providers. 

Now the bad news: The only place to get accurate lists of cell towers is from the cell phone companies.  This information is considered proprietary and should only be for the agency that it was supplied to.  I've looked at OpenSignal as a possible MM layer before, unfortunately its not very accurate information - its missing most of the actual tower locations, and the signal coverage areas are not accurate (at least around my area). 

If someone can find a better data source, we'd be happy to add Cell Towers as a MM map layer!

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
I am able to access my County's permit information in the County's GIS system. It shows locations where permits for cell towers have been issued in the unincorporated areas or on County property.  Nothing in the cities shows up, unless it is on a little County enclave.  Unfortunately, it doesn't give any information on coverage area, just the provider's name.  It is also on the secure server that can only be accessed through the County's intranet, so I don't think it is publicly available.  I will check when I am at home and see if I can access it, but I doubt it.  Therefore, it would not be accessible to MM.  But if your agency has laptops that will access your City/County permits while in the field, that may be an option. 

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:50:12 AM »
Your Permit post gave me an idea - the FCC.  I assumed cell towers would need to be registered with the Feds.  After a little Googling, I found this page: http://wireless.fcc.gov/geographic/index.htm?job=licensing_database_extracts.  The data looks like its in ESRI format, which will take some conversion code.  This could be promising :D.  Thanks for the ideas.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
Darn, a quick look at that FCC data, it looks like this is a very limited number of cell sites.  Not sure why there is so few sites, maybe its only the recently added sites or new permit applications.  Need to keep looking for better data.

JonathanHarraden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »
I found this thread because I had the same request.  I came across this link  http://ge.fccinfo.com/fccinfo.kmz.  Is it the same one you found?
It was fairly complete for my geographical area but only shows tower height and owner info.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
I came across this link  http://ge.fccinfo.com/fccinfo.kmz
This looks like a possible promising source for Cell Tower data.  I can't find an API that would allow data from this site on MM maps.  I've reached out to them to see if they would be willing to provide better access to their data feeds.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
After some discussion with the folks at fccinfo.com, I've learned some things about the FCC data for cell sites.  First, the data on the fccinfo.com is the same data that's available from FCC.gov pages.  Second, cell towers only need to be registered with the FCC if they are 200' or taller, so this is why the FCC data leaves out so many cell sites.  Most cell sites are on buildings, water towers, fake trees, etc. and most of these are far less than that 200' height, hence not registered with the FCC.  Lastly, the FCC data doesn't specify what type of site it is, cell, TV, radio, etc., so there is no way to tell from the FCC data what type of tower it is.

So we are back to the drawing board on finding a better source for cell tower locations.