Author Topic: Need Ideas  (Read 9840 times)

tkleager

• View Profile
    • Scotts Bluff County CERT
Need Ideas
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »
We are often called to assist with traffic control at major incidents and functions, as well as perimeter containment for law enforcement activities.  When we first started with MM, you just typed in the mission type and away we went.  Now with the drop down version for mission type, I'm having to set up the positions and teams.  Positions are easy as we usually only have an IC, Event Logger/Scribe and Command Staff Help.  But the teams is where I'm having trouble.  We don't always have our ATV and Mountain Goat trailer out for these, but it does get requested from time to time for the 5k and Marathon through the hills each year. We are also working the Aid stations, so I have those two in.  What other team types could you see having?

We got the call this week for assistance with the Marathon again this year, so I'm trying to have everything in place on MM before the 28th.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:40:54 AM by tkleager »
Tyler Kleager
Scotts Bluff County CERT Webmaster
www.scottsbluffcountycert.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Need Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:50 AM »
I don't have any specific ideas for the cases you describe, but we are always open to adding new default mission types to MM if anyone has any good ideas.

tkleager

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
I already got it set up in the Mission Types.  That was the easy part of the whole thing.

It is just coming up with Team Types for within the Mission.  I already have Aid Station and ATV.  I'm trying to figure out what I should call our teams that man the intersections.  The only thing that comes to mind is Intersection Control.  But I'm open to any and all ideas.

TK
Tyler Kleager

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:25:23 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what I should call our teams that man the intersections.
I think we used to call it a "Traffic Control" team  :D.

SDCART1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:29 AM »
Without being familiar with what roles you are playing in the event, it is difficult for me to envision the various possible teams.  What my team did (we do animal rescue during disasters primarily) is re-named the Team tab in the Mission to Assignment.  Using that, we can generate in advance a bunch of specific assignments that aren't standard ICS roles or team names, then attach personnel to those assignments as they become available.  That way you don't have to worry about a team name, just an assignment name (Fifth and B, 123 Main St., etc.)

tkleager

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »
Without being familiar with what roles you are playing in the event, it is difficult for me to envision the various possible teams.  What my team did (we do animal rescue during disasters primarily) is re-named the Team tab in the Mission to Assignment.  Using that, we can generate in advance a bunch of specific assignments that aren't standard ICS roles or team names, then attach personnel to those assignments as they become available.  That way you don't have to worry about a team name, just an assignment name (Fifth and B, 123 Main St., etc.)

To give you an idea the support we provide during races is just a couple of things.  First we are there as traffic control for intersections where runners/bikers are crossing major traffic arteries that can not be completely shut off during these events.  The second thing we provide are aid stations for the runners/bikers.  We also provide support for some of the races with our ATV pulling our Mountain Goat All Terrain Medical Trailer.  We use this because there are areas during some of these races that are not accessible by regular ambulance or by air if a runner/biker becomes injured on some of the trails.
For the upcoming marathon I currently have 19 intersections that are going need to have someone for traffic control as well as the ATV for the section of the Nation Monument area that is not accessible to large motorized traffic.

Our support for law enforcement often comes for major cases.  We have been called to several homicide scenes in the last several years where we are there to provide a containment area.  We are responsible for checking ALL law enforcement personal in/out of the containment area, keeping out those who are not approved to be in the area, and directing traffic around the scene.

For all of the above we run with an IC, scribe/event logger, CMD Staff Help.  Often our scribe/event logger is also logging the radio traffic as well.
Tyler Kleager

SFD CERT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:25:52 PM »
I've set out team types to the types of service we can provide...I don't have them all in my head, but traffic cntrol, rehab, medical, search, transport, cribbing, fire suppression, etc.

Robert Ross
Chief, Operations
Sacramento CERT
www.sfdcert.com