Author Topic: Guest Access  (Read 10275 times)

k0kha

• View Profile
Guest Access
« on: May 24, 2011, 06:04:37 PM »
Amazing tool.  There's a learning curve, but it's well worth the effort.  Thank you for making this available.

A question regarding functionality for a feature I'm hoping already exists.  My team will at times work with other SAR units or agency representatives on a "project".  I say project because some of our missions are public safety support for events and can be planned several months out.  The mapping capability of Search Manager allows us to get the lay of the land mapped out and stage far more effectively the day of the event.  This means we can have multiple active missions at the same time.

When we grant guest access, we want to restrict access to a particular mission, not just any active mission.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

Max

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Guest Access
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
Welcome Max.

Amazing tool.
Thanks, much appreciated.

When we grant guest access, we want to restrict access to a particular mission, not just any active mission.
Currently access can only be limited to Active Missions, and there is no way to limit access to one mission.

Could you create a separate account for an active project?  Is it only the Mapping you want to share?

k0kha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
Could you create a separate account for an active project?  Is it only the Mapping you want to share?

I'd hate cluttering your system with one shot accounts.  I imagine that it'll be a lot of administrative overhead for us, too.

I do want to use this for mapping only.  A good pre-plan prevents an event from becoming an incident.  But the reality of the situation is that if something bad happens, we could end up using Search Manager to its full capability.  Having the area pre-mapped is a tremendous bonus.

I guess the question to ask should be directed to other SARs here.  How do you do this?  When you respond to an incident and end up working your MOUs/MAAs, do you grant access to this application to individuals not a part of your group?  If not, how do you track your field resources and the work that they have done?  (My group can't be the first one to have this concern.)

Thank you.

Max

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »
I'd hate cluttering your system with one shot accounts.
Also appreciated  ;D

When you respond to an incident and end up working your MOUs/MAAs, do you grant access to this application to individuals not a part of your group?
We often work with many different agencies on missions, sometimes as many as 6 at once.  All people on our missions who are not part of our team get logged into the system as "Members", with the "Guest Member" checked.  This allows us to have a record of who was on the mission, but does not give Guests a login to our team area. 

If not, how do you track your field resources and the work that they have done?
Everyone (guest and non-guest) on a any mission is Debriefed before they leave the Command Post.  We provide a set of "Debrief" computers at the CP, for all mission Debriefing.  Any of these people are in the field they can be tracked as to where they went.  This tracking applies to guests and non-guests, as long as they have the InstaMapper app installed on their phones.  The automatically assigned "Phone Device Key:" is printed on the Team Assignment sheets given to each team needs to be set in the InstaMapper app when they leave on assignment.

Hope that helps.

Mike

k0kha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
We often work with many different agencies on missions, sometimes as many as 6 at once.  All people on our missions who are not part of our team get logged into the system as "Members", with the "Guest Member" checked.  This allows us to have a record of who was on the mission, but does not give Guests a login to our team area. 

Maybe this is the testimonial that I was looking for.  We'll try it with members of other agencies as guests and see how it works.

Thank you.

Max

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
I've had some exposure to this type of situation, although I'm not sure I have a good solution for you.  For field teams, there is generally no need for accessing Mission Manager, and a guest account works great for keeping track of the resource.  When guests are helping out with command, it's another story.  We have been having someone with access logging in and handing the computer to the guest, or worse yet, sharing their password.  Both of these are security issues.

It might be nice to have a button that gives a single user access to a single mission for a set period of time.  That would allow a quick way to expand a user's permissions, but setting it up could be awfully difficult.  Anyone have better ideas?

Kelly Circle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:16:32 PM »
In our small community we often get tasked to run large community events.  We made the decision (even before we found radish works) that we would pull our members from the field to staff the command post.  We usually had more than enough people from other departments/agency's/community to run the event.  Other agencies would have an representative in the command post and "Unified command" is used but our people run the radios, maps, resources, white boards, laptops and such.  We often say "We know how to run a large group best they know how to run their people best"  for us it works.   

k0kha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
In our small community we often get tasked to run large community events.  We made the decision (even before we found radish works) that we would pull our members from the field to staff the command post.

We're generally in the same boat.  A lot of our served agencies love to come to us with projects to organize, but we don't always get to fully staff ICP.  Almost always the served agency will have a liaison position -- a liaison to us to help fine-tune the plan from the agency's perspective -- and often they'll take a MAC/UC position during the event.  It's never been a hardship and for the most part they let us do our thing.  It's very rare that they do course corrections, but they tend to like having the power to do so.

I've added two of the rangers to Search Manager for an event we're doing next weekend and so far neither has logged in, so maybe that's good news.  They trust us to do this.