Author Topic: Forwarding Feature not working?  (Read 9092 times)

Smertsar

• View Profile
Forwarding Feature not working?
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »
After our local paging system was cut due to budgeting issues we decided to try Mission Manager to see how it works.  So far I can say I really like the setup as I'm getting to know the features on it.

However I've been trying to get the forwarding feature to work because that is the ideal way for us to send out call outs to certain teams but I can't seem to get it to work and I can't figure out if I'm not understanding it correctly or if I'm doing something wrong.

To set up the forwarding feature first I have to set up the prefixes for the email under Configuration.  Now lets say I use the the prefix: Sarblue for email, Sarred for SMS, and sarblack for phone, I should be able to send out a message to Sarred@radishworks.com and have it forward my message onto everyone who has their text messages set up.  Every time I do this, I get a bounce back rather I do it by text or by email.

The message is being sent by my own phone number which I have received a text from the computer part of mission manager but I can't seem to get the forwarding to work. I even tried my email address that is used to set up the account here and it hasn't worked.  What am I doing wrong?

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Forwarding Feature not working?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
I assume the bounce back is coming from MM?  Does the bounce message say anything about why it bounced back?

Without seeing the message, it would be a guess that MM isn't recognizing the return email address as being part of your team.  If you are sending via "my own phone number", there may be a different address listed as the return address that is not listed in MM.  I.e. the return email from your phone is "6195551212@att.com" but the address in MM is "username@att.com" or vice-versa.  As far as your cell phone provider goes these are the same email address but in MM they are not.

Try forwarding from your mail MM email address and see it that works.  If that works, then you have the forwarding set up correctly and its working for your team.  Then you can narrow down the to forward messages from an unrecognized email address.

Hope that helps.

Smertsar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
Here is the text of the bounced email. We are trying to send the email to smertsms@radishworks.com. (OR smertemail@radishworks.com. Neither are working)
----------------

Hello,

The message below was undeliverable because it was sent to an unknown address or it was sent FROM an address unknown to Mission Manager.

1. If you are trying to send a message to your Mission Manager team, make sure you are sending TO the correct address.  Contact your system administrator to confirm the address.

2. Make sure the email you are sending FROM is listed as one of your emails in Mission Manager.  If you can login to the system you can add the email to your Member settings.  If you do not have a system login you will need to contact your system administrator and have them add the address you are sending FROM.

3. Some final things to check are: That the email is from an active and non-guest Mission Manager Member.  If you are a system administrator make sure the email you are sending FROM is not the default 'Return email address' in the Configuration, using this same address is not allowed for message forwarding.

This email was sent from: kd8dak@gmail.com (this is the email that needs to be in Mission Manager)

If you have a login, you can login here:
https://www.radishworks.com/MissionManager/Login.php

For Mission Manager Support Forum, click this link:
http://www.radishworks.com/forum

Regards,
Radishworks

The contents of the message you sent was:
Tos: smertsms@radishworks.com@radishworks.com
From Address: kd8dak@gmail.com
From Name: kd8dak
Subject: Test again
Text: Test Test
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:38:17 AM by Smertsar »

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »
There is something a little odd in the "Tos" listed in the bounce: "smertsms@radishworks.com@radishworks.com".

Can you give it one more try and confirm the message is just going to just "smertsms@radishworks.com"?  (without the extra "@radishworks.com")  If it doesn't work we'll add some more traps to see if we can see what's going wrong.

Thanks.

Smertsar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »
We just tried twice, with two different member emails. It worked properly both times to send SMS messages.

Didn't change anything from earlier attempts.

!?

Did not try email to email distribution, but it should see similar success now?

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
Great!  When I was investigating your issue, there was a slight code change that could have been an issue for you.  Hopefully that was it.  Yes, give the email forward a shot.  :D

Smertsar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 06:01:24 PM »
All seems to be working now. Have tested email and text from two accounts. Thanks for your help!