Author Topic: 1 acre box, map element  (Read 7826 times)

jgr826

• View Profile
1 acre box, map element
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
Admin,
A lot of our work deals with human remains recovery. Ideally we assign our HR teams to one or more 1 acre sectors. One thing that would help would be a map tool that draws a 1 acre box in the map tab. Maybe make the 'box' size defined by the user.

Let me know what ya'all think.

Jess Romero
www.searchone.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: 1 acre box, map element
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
I will let other teams jump in if this is something they think would be useful.  For my two cents, it would take a fair amount of work to add a new map element type, each new type takes quite a bit of coding.  From someone who has worked on many, many HR missions, I'm not sure how useful any size "squares" would be.  Search areas are rarely defined as such a uniform geometric shape, more often they are defined by roads, trails, geographic features, etc.  I always found watching the area of the object being drawn in the lower left of the map screen useful when drawing a more free form area.

jgr826

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
We've managed searches as you've described. But we've also had cases (cold/buried cases with multiple teams) where assigning 1 acre chunks facilitates the search, as shown in the attachment. Not a big deal if this feature is found not as useful as I thought.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:59:50 AM by jgr826 »

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:36:47 AM »
Jess,

Thanks for the posted picture and the PM.  We were thinking the same thing when it comes to a "Duplicate" solution. 

MM now has a "Duplicate Area" feature.  (May need the typical F5).  It works like this:
  • Draw a Area on the map, in your case it can be square, watch the lower left of the maps screen and you'll see the area acreage.

• Click on the line part of the Area, this will open a popup bubble for the area.

• Use the new Left, Right, Up and Down buttons in the bubble to duplicate the area.

• The duplication will happen in relation to the last element copied, so if you duplicate in a zig-zag, you can quickly create a grid of squares like is shown in your posted picture.

Lastly I will mention the existing feature of holding down the Alt key when in map edit mode, this will allow you to move a whole area element around rather than corner by corner.

Hope this solves your need!

jgr826

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Cool! That totally works.
Thanks for the quick work.
Admin rocks as always.