Author Topic: Equipment Categories - requesting ability to change/add  (Read 10478 times)

cmleaver

• View Profile
Equipment Categories - requesting ability to change/add
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »
Right now there are 10 general Categories for Equipment.  I've poked around a bit and see no way to change this.  We'd like to be able to do two things that it doesn't appear currently possible:

1) We'd like to be able to add/remove categories as needed.  There are a couple of current ones that we won't use, and there are new ones we would use.

2) We'd like to be able to create one level of sub-category under the categories.  I would expect this to be optional, and maybe not everyone would use it.  But we would.  For example - under Communications we would like to be able to create HAM and Other so we can divide our HAM from our commercial and FRS radios.  Same for computers - I would like to create a subcategory for Desktops, Laptops, and Other for printers, projectors, etc.

Just so we are clear I am not asking for you to create these categories for us.  We would like to be able to to create/remove them as will as time progresses and we redefine things.  We feel that changing this to flexible fields now would make it easier for others to use down the road.

Chris Leaver
Kent County Volunteer CERT
Team Leader, Trainer, IT Manager

PS.  What is the purpose of having to enter anti-spam for each and every post?  I've never seen this anywhere, ever on any other board or forum I have posted on.

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Equipment Categories - requesting ability to change/add
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
You can change, add and remove equipment categories in the Configuration screen > Team Settings section > "Equipment Categories" setting. 

If you want sub categories you could try something like: "Computers - Desktops,Computers - Laptops,Computers -Other", etc.

PS.  What is the purpose of having to enter anti-spam for each and every post?  I've never seen this anywhere, ever on any other board or forum I have posted on.
To avoid spam bots from creating automated accounts and posting spam messages.  After you have posted 3 messages, the system will stop asking for the anti-spam key.

cmleaver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »
First off, thank you for the speedy reply.  It's appreciated.

You can change, add and remove equipment categories in the Configuration screen > Team Settings section > "Equipment Categories" setting.
I cannot see this so evidently I need my privileges elevated further.

If you want sub categories you could try something like: "Computers - Desktops,Computers - Laptops,Computers -Other", etc.
Sure, this would work.  But it still forces a flat tree with a much longer list to have to scroll through.  The idea of having a multi-tiered tree is to keep lists shorter and thus easier to navigate.  Please consider adding a sub-category field as an optional field in the future.  Thank you!

To avoid spam bots from creating automated accounts and posting spam messages.  After you have posted 3 messages, the system will stop asking for the anti-spam key.
Thank you for the explanation.  I didn't see anything telling me it would go away after 3 posts.  Regardless, I personally thing it's unnecessary from a security standpoint.  But it's not my board so not my decision.

cmleaver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:26:11 AM »
Admin - Since you didn't appear to fully understand my initial point, may I have an acknowledgement of my clarification?

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
I cannot see this so evidently I need my privileges elevated further.
You will need to talk to your team's administrator / leader if you do not have configuration privileges.  No one on this board can help you with that.
Please consider adding a sub-category field as an optional field in the future.
Thank you for your suggestion, this may be considered as a future feature.

cmleaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
You will need to talk to your team's administrator / leader if you do not have configuration privileges.  No one on this board can help you with that.
Sorry I wasn't clearer.  I meant that I would need to take care of it, not you guys.

Thank you for your suggestion, this may be considered as a future feature.
Thank you!