Author Topic: Twitter Layer  (Read 6920 times)

jlehman

• View Profile
    • San Bernardino County Sheriff's SAR
Twitter Layer
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »
I fired up a map to see if I could get the Twitter and Instagram layers to work. I tried this a while ago, but we were training in an area with spotty cell coverage, so it never seemed to work. As I am sitting at my desk, I centered the map over the Angeles National Forest to see if I could capture any Instagram or Twitter posts at the Colby Fire. I selected the layers, but have yet to have anything appear. I used a keyword of "Colby". Searching Twitter for Colby showed numerous hits.

Two things. First, maybe none of those Colby tweets had geo data associated with them. Second, both Twitter and Instagram are greyed in the layer list. Am I doing something wrong, or missing something?

Thanks,
JL
Jeff Lehman
San Bernardino County SAR
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Twitter Layer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
First, maybe none of those Colby tweets had geo data associated with them.
You are correct, only geo tagged tweets will show up on MM Maps.
Second, both Twitter and Instagram are greyed in the layer list.
Both Twitter and Instagram will only allow queries within a limited radius, MM will grey these layers out if your map has too big of a radius area.   Try zooming in and these layers should be available. 

kc8zpi

• View Profile
    • Kent County Search and Rescue
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
I was playing with the twitter and other feeds during the deadly Boston fire this week and found the data on the map would not all show. I would move the map just a little bit and would get different data. Not sure what was causing this.
Ryan Kelley
rkelley@kentcountsar.org

Deputy Director - Logistics and Support, Kent County SAR
Assistant Emergency Coordinator, Ionia County RACES
NASAR SARTECH II®/Evaluator

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »
I was playing with the twitter and other feeds during the deadly Boston fire this week and found the data on the map would not all show. I would move the map just a little bit and would get different data. Not sure what was causing this.
MM shows the tweets as Twitter feed them to us base on the map location.  There are limits to the number of tweets that come though, I'm not sure what the logic is how Twitter selects which ones are sent.  I've notices that zooming closer will sometimes give more consistent data.