Author Topic: Message system  (Read 7604 times)

johnburdue

• View Profile
Message system
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:05:05 AM »
Has anyone else had issues with the email messaging system and yahoo email? I get an error code back from Yahoo and have passed it to the support team. Just wondering if there has occurred with other users.

Greg W

• View Profile
Re: Message system
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »
I have seen many messaging emails bounce back recently when sent through MM with my Yahoo email address. When I read the bounce messages it seems like the Yahoo messages are rejected because the server sending the message is not a Yahoo server (server does not match the reply address). Many of the bounces mention DMARC which you can read about here- http://www.dmarc.org/

I received rule based bounces from Gmail, Hotmail, AOL and several others. If you have another email address you can test it might be worth a try.

TARSAR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »
I'd have to wonder if it's due to the message failing reverse DNS checks on some of the hosts.  If a email is sent as yoursar@gmail.com (made up of course), but it originated from the MM servers, the receiving host will often do a reverse check and realize that it wasn't truly sent from a gmail server based on the IP address.  Often that's indicative of someone spamming.  Obviously there's only so much that can be done to deal with that since it's done on the yahoo servers and not necessarily the recipient email account.  Even whitelisting wouldn't resolve the issue since that just says that the sender yoursar@gmail.com is known to me and isn't spamming, but since it's failing the reverse dns check, it's considered to be not reliable.  Hopefully that all makes sense.  I receive MM messages in my google apps account (domain email hosted on gmail servers) without an issues, but I can't say the same for yahoo.  Do you know if anyone on your team using yahoo receives messages from MM?

johnburdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:20 AM »
From what I have read on the error message explanation TARSAR is on point with the possible explination. I do know if this can be resolved from MM support team with yahoo. Would be nice to know if this is a temporary issue or do we need to limit email providers.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:48 AM »
I do know if this can be resolved from MM support team with yahoo.
I highly doubt it.  ISPs and email providers almost never want to work with any developer to help them through whatever spam filters they use.