Author Topic: Offline Maps  (Read 7488 times)

toddclausen

• View Profile
Offline Maps
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »
A couple observations about offline system and maps.  Aside from not being able to create a new mission when entirely off line I have a couple of issues with it when I start online then take it off line.  I cached the maps for the area I was working in (Milwaukee WI) but when I first went to the map tab when off line the map is blank and centered on the default Blue Sky Canyon location.  There seems to be no real ability to zoom more than 1 level and to pan to Milwaukee would take an hour at that zoom level.  I can't seem to find a way to recenter the map to my location.  Am I missing something?  Second - is there any possibility of adding the ability to load GPX files while off line?  Even without map tiles the GPX shapefiles would be useful.

Thanks!
Todd
Todd Clausen
People and Paws SAR

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Offline Maps
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
Aside from not being able to create a new mission when entirely off line
You should be able create missions when totally offline, but you may not have the right (or any) map area for the location your mission is in.

There seems to be no real ability to zoom more than 1 level and to pan to Milwaukee would take an hour at that zoom level.
Currently you can only cache maps for rather small areas and limited zoom levels.  Maps take up a lot of space on your disk and the MM server too!  The size is limited so not to overwhelm the MM server space as the maps have to be save on our server before they are sent to your cache.  The MM Maps screen tries to limit your "world" to the areas of the maps that have been cached.  Maybe it should let you go out side that space even if there are no maps?

Second - is there any possibility of adding the ability to load GPX files while off line?
Yes that's possible.  I'll add that to the feature request list.

Regards,
Mike

gr8dave37

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
While I understand this is a REALLY old topic I am looking for similar information.  I am a relatively new user to mission manager and despite the ever booming cellular capabilities, in certain response areas of northern PA there are definitely areas with no cell service which limits our use greatly.  I would love some more detailed information on how to cache maps in advance for later use in a noncell reception area.  I have a brand new laptop with a clean hard drive just wanting to be filled with all kind of map data for SAR use.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »
I have a brand new laptop with a clean hard drive just wanting to be filled with all kind of map data for SAR use.
You might want to check out http://caltopo.com/togo you can use this page to download (cache) larger map areas to your HD.  You can then use the "Custom Map Layers" in the MM Configuration to use other sources for map tiles. 

Matt Jacobs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
The best option is to get a copy of your response area in advance, rather than trying to cache limited areas.  See http://www.radishworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=195.0 - it's a little dated as I now have aerial imagery for the US, but otherwise mostly correct.  Send me an external drive (200GB for California, so 100GB should cover PA), I'll send you maps, and then you can set them up as custom layers in MM.